Saturday, June 5, 2010

Roasted Stone Fruit Squish

Stone fruit season in full force now, with various sorts of cherries, peaches and apricots piled high, and I couldnt help myself but to stuff my bags with them at Alemany this morning.

What I didnt count on was more than a few of those fruits being so burstingly ripe that they did just that - burst. In my bag.

Nothing pisses me off more than fruit that goes into my bag looking nice and round and coming out looking, well. Oblong.

(actually many things piss me off more, but nothing else has come up yet this morning)

Anyway. Fruit enthusiasts like myself (Should I refer to my self in such a way? It sounds…dirty) know that bruised and broken fruit must be culled from the rest of the group immediately so that the malady does not spread. And by malady I mean that all that lovely (probably expensive) fruit you just bought getting moldy by the next day.

Squishy fruit no longer looks nice and it a big messy to eat out of hand, but the flavor is still great - especially when the squish part has happened recently.

Here’s one thing you can do with squishy fruit: Make a squish. It sounds gross but tastes wonderful. Roasting fruit brings out a whole new side of the flavor.

This would be really good on yogurt or scones, but to my shame, I ate it as is.

Yes, there is a kick from the cayenne, don’t be a wuss. (but omit it if you are.)

Roasted Stone Fruit Squish:

Bruised or broken peaches, nectarines, apricots, de-stoned and chopped. I kept the skins on because I’m lazy.

5 mint leaves, chopped into leetle bits

Mint sugar (mint+raw sugar, pulsed in a blender) to coat- or honey works too if you’re not a wierd food nerd like me that has that sort of thing lying around.

Lemon juice, cayenne pepper to taste.

Mix together.

Cover a baking pan with tinfoil and lay the mass out on the pan. Bake at 350 until the whole thing becomes a gooey, yummy mass.

If you don’t want to roast it, this is very good cold as a fruit salad, but as the fruit will be squishy I’d add nice looking fruit like sliced strawberries, raspberries, mango or grapes to supplement.

No comments: