Thursday, August 21, 2008

Egg

I poached my first egg yesterday. Yeah, you heard me.

It's strange to think in this day and age we tend to think far more than we do.
I mean, I knew how to poach an egg - acidifying the water to help coagulate, making sure the water stays at a simmer so as not to break everything up, breaking into a cup first to make sure the yolk doesn't come apart. I've had eggs benedict. Although, admittedly, the egg was often smothered with hollandaise and so I didn't really think about it.

Anyway, I had a hankering for said dish yesterday and it was not until i'd purchased everything and heated up the water until I realized that Ive never actually done this before.

anyway. Muffin. Bacon. Eggs. messed the first a bit, perfected technique with the other two. deglazed the pan with a bit of butter in lieu of hollandaise because I didn't want to dirty another dish.
mm, ham-butter.

The egg is such a perfect package of protein, and can be made so many ways - my go-to is usually scrambled or omelet. Yet eating poached eggs without a thick sauce to distract was a new experience for me - white, airy casing, runny middle that creates its own sauce. No stringy whatsits like when scrambled or flabby white like fried.

I can't imagine why it took me so long.

Rained cats and dogs yesterday so unfortunately didn't hit the farmers market. However, got produce in the fridge and lots of blackberries and that should hold me out until saturday. Need to eat all this melon.
Attending a moroccan cooking class tonight, so maybe I can work some of my produce into more things I don't yet know how to cook.

No comments: